1955 and 1956 Troy War Memorial

Town of Troy Annual Report - During the summer of 1955 the unusually hot weather drew 275 Troy children to the beach the first day. The daily attendance was well over 200 until late in the season.
A total of 125 children took the swimming lessons. They had 24 beginners, 22 intermediates, 18 swimmers and 6 Jr. life savers.  The end result was that 70 children passed courses.  The bathhouse that was started in the fall was finished in time for the season’s opening made due by the people who gave freely of their time.  The Keene summer program used the facilities and averaged approximately 50 children per day.  The concession stand was not run by the high school this season so the children from Keene brought their own tonic and made it available to all of the children. The summer program figured on a cumulative basis was 6 thousand children-days from Troy and does not include adults and Keene children. 


The 1956 season was the eighth year of activity at Sand Dam.  Keene didn’t use the facility and the program missed their $400 fee, but on the other hand, Troy’s own children were coming in such large numbers between 200-250 that they appreciated the extra room.   The total attendance each year had been increasing significantly.  The 1956 attendance figured on a cumulative basis was 6 thousand children-days from Troy, which amounts to 20 cents per child day.   The Red Cross gave instruction to 130 children which included 40 beginners, 20 intermediate, 8 swimmer, 3 Jr. Life and 3 Senior Life saving cards.  A survey was conducted at school to evaluate the swimming program that showed in grade 1, 70% of students were non-swimmers, grade 3, 40%, grade 6 two are non-swimmers, grade 8 one is a non-swimmer, high school, 2 are non-swimmers. 


The bathhouse that was built the prior summer received a new coat of creosote stain and the new toilet facility with a cinder block foundation was ready for use at the end of the prior season.  The beach was graded and a new 60-foot long pier was installed.  The sections were 12 feet each and could be taken out each winter.   Because they used local materials and labor it cost $200 instead of $750. The maintenance of equipment had become too large a chore for volunteers.  Mr. Harold Lange agreed to store and maintain the equipment at a reasonable rate. The Boy Scouts and Junior Chamber of Commerce transplanted thirty odd maple and oak trees from 6-15 feet tall.  With the purchase of two more new rowboats the fleet consisted of 5 rowboats and one canoe. A committee was formed and plans were made for the summer of 1957 Ralph Staples was put in charge and Michael Dunn was his assistant.  A subcommittee of Calvin Cumings and Edward Lang were to pick a new Red Cross instructor and Walter Oman for crafts.  They discussed recommendations for fees to out of town people for swimming instruction and use of facilities. Maurice Clark and Henry Swiatek were chosen to serve on the subcommittee. They also discussed the appointment of Ralph Staples as a special police officer for the Sand Dam area. 


A new building next to the tennis courts to replace the deteriorating “shack” was to be planned.  They had $277 in a special account for this purpose.  Waino Heionen donated several hundred feet of lumber for the new 24 x 32 foot building that would be used for storage of equipment and a room for a snack bar. This structure would also have a shaded porch area with tables for crafts.